Day # 2 YOU ARE NOT AN ACCIDENT
Favorite quotes from the reading:
- Nothing in your life is arbitrary. It’s all for a purpose.
- God was thinking of you even before he made the world. In fact, that’s why he created it.
- God made you so he could love you. This is a truth to build your life on.
- We discover that meaning and purpose only when we make God the reference point of our lives.
- LOVED THE POEM by Russell Kelfer:
- “You are who you are for a reason.
- You’re part of an intricate plan.
- You’re a precious and perfect unique design,
- Called God’s special woman or man.
- You look like you look for a reason.
- Our God made no mistake.
- He knit you together within the womb,
- You’re just what he wanted to make.
- The parents you had were the ones he chose,
- And no matter how you may feel,
- They were custom-designed with God’s plan in mind,
- And they bear the Master’s seal.
- No, that trauma you faced was not easy.
- And God wept that it hurt you so;
- But it was allowed to shape your heart
- So that into his likeness you’d grow.
- You are who you are for a reason,
- You’ve been formed by the Master’s rod
- You are who you are, beloved,
- Because there is a God!
Let me encourage you to go to the website and listen to the sermon if you can find the time. Below are my notes from it. http://purposedriven.com/day2/
My Notes from the sermon on Day # 2 found at the website above:
WHAT ON EARTH AM I HERE FOR? Rick Warren
LIFE’S 3 GREATEST QUESTIONS
1. QUESTION OF EXISTENCE: WHY AM I ALIVE?
• Why am I here?
JEREMIAH: “Why was I born? Was it only to have trouble and sorrow, to end my life in disgrace?”Jeremiah 20:18 (TEV)
• QUOTE: “I FEEL LIKE MY LIFE HAS A GREAT CAST, I JUST CAN’T FIGURE OUT THE PLOT.”
- If you don’t look at life from God’s approach there are three ways to look at your purpose in life.
1] Mystical approach – [look within] – doesn’t work – because you didn’t create you so you can’t figure out why you were created
2] Self-help approach [make something up] – you’ve got to make up a purpose, create a purpose, get a purpose
– consider your dreams, set some goals, figure out what your good at, aim high, go for it, be disciplined, break your bad habits, believe that you can achieve and never give up. Good advise for being successful – doesn’t get you to purpose
3] Philosophical approach [guess about it] – enroll in a philosophy course – asking life questions – it’s speculation – it doesn’t work – you need revelation.
WHAT ARE WE HERE FOR?
WHY ARE WE ALIVE? – God says we were created to be loved by God. God made you to love you
GOD SAYS: I WAS CREATED FOR MYSELF
“Love comes from God… for God IS love. God showed how much he loved us by sending His only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through Him.”1 John 4:7-9 (NLT)
• You can’t get God to stop loving you, because God’s love for you is not based on who you are, it’s based on who God is. God’s love is not based on what you do, it’s based on his character. God will never love you anymore than He does this very second, God will never God you any less than He does this very second.
“Long before God laid down earth’s foundations, he had us in mind, and settled on us as the focus of His love, to be made whole and holy by His love.” Ephesians 1:4 (Message)
- No one loves you like God does.
“I have loved you with an everlasting love!” Jeremiah 31:3 (NIV)
Once you understand how much God love’s you – life will never be the same. You are the focus of God’s love.
2. QUESTION OF SIGNIFICANCE: DOES MY LIFE MATTER?
• What am I here for
DAVID: “I remember how short my life is. Why did you create us? For nothing?” Psalm 89:47 (NCV)
JOB: “Why should I work so hard for nothing?” Job 9:29 (GW)
SOLOMON: “Laughing and having fun is crazy. What good does it do?” Ecclesiastes 2:2 (CEV)
Everyone is living ‘today’ at one of three levels:
1] survival level – most of the world live at this level –
In America some people live at an emotional survival level – not living, just existing
2] success level – most American’s live here – by world standards – you have it made. living the good life. – But there is something better than the good life – there is a better life. The successful life doesn’t bring satisfaction because you were created for significance. What you need is not more money, but more meaning.
3] significance level – significance comes from, knowing your creator, knowing your purpose, and by living out your 5 purposes for your life.
- God wants you to know the purpose that He put you on this planet for, more than you want to know it, because He doesn’t want you to waste your life.
- God wants you to know how much you matter to him.
HE CARES ABOUT EVERY DETAIL IN YOUR LIFE and God has no problem handling the details.
“Not even a sparrow, can fall to the ground without your Heavenly Father knowing it. The very am hairs on your head are all numbered! So don’t be afraid; you are far more valuable to Him than a whole flock of sparrows.” Matthew 10:29-31 (NLT)
HE PLANNED MY DAYS BEFORE MY BIRTH.
“You… scheduled each day of my life before I began to breathe. Every day was recorded in Your book!” Psalm 139:16 (LB)
• What does this mean? 1] God is never disappointed with you. 2] He cares about you and planned the details of your life 3] He made you to last forever, has put an eternal soul within you.
HE MADE ME TO LAST FOREVER
• So what on earth am I here for? The Bible says that this life is preparation for the next. Life on earth is preparation for eternity. It’s the learning stage. The prepping stage.
“God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but people can’t see the whole scope of God’s work from beginning to end.” Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NLT)
• this is why there is this longing within you for more. It’s a longing for eternity.
• biggest mistake people make today is to think that this life is all there is.
“The world and everything in it is passing away; but those who do the will of God will live forever.”1 John 2:17 (TEV)
• YOU MATTER TO GOD – HE CREATED YOU AS AN OBJECT OF HIS LOVE – HE WANTS YOU TO LIVE WITH HIM FOREVER IN ETERNITY
3. QUESTION OF INTENTION: IS THERE A PURPOSE FOR MY LIFE?
• What is the purpose?
ISAIAH: “My work all seems so useless! I have spent my strength for nothing and for no purpose at all.” Isaiah 49:4a (NLT)
GOD SAYS: HE MADE ME FOR HIS PURPOSES.
“The Lord has made everything for His own purposes.” Proverbs 16:4a (NTL)
• God has 5 purposes for your life.
How do I discover my purpose in life?
• by getting to know God.
• The Bible starts with these words: “In the beginning God…” – we have to start there.
“Everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible …everything got started in Him and finds its purpose in Him.” Col 1:16 (Message)
“Knowing God results in every other kind of understanding.” Proverbs 9:10b (LB)
• you want to know why you are having difficult in your relationships, get to know God.
• you want to know why you keep going into debt, get to know God
• you want to know the purpose of your life, get to know God.
• you want to know why you are stressed out all the time, get to know God.
• you want to know the answers that you can’t find yourself, get to know God
“It’s in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for… part of the overall purpose He is working out in everything and everyone.”Eph. 1:11-12 (Message)
George Heubert said: “It’s never to late to become what you might have been.”
“It makes no difference who you are or where you’re from — if you want God and are ready to do as He says, the door is open.” Acts 10:35 (Message)
THINKING ABOUT MY PURPOSE
POINT TO PONDER: I am not an accident.
VERSE TO REMEMBER:
“I am your Creator. You were in my care even before you were born.”
ISAIAH 44:2 (CEV)
QUESTION TO CONSIDER:
I know that God uniquely created me. What areas of my personality, background, and physical appearance am I struggling to accept?