Day # 3 WHAT DRIVES YOUR LIFE?
Favorite quotes from today’s reading:
- God’s purpose is not limited by your past.
- Nothing matters more than knowing God’s purposes for your life
- Without God, life has no purpose, and with purpose, life has no meaning. Without meaning, life has no significance or hope.
- The greatest tragedy is not death, but a life without purpose.
- It is impossible to do everything people want you to do.
- Living to create earthly legacy is a shortsighted goal. Build an eternal legacy. You weren’t put on earth to be remembered. You were put here to prepare for eternity.
- Living on purpose is the path to peace.
Consider going to: http://purposedriven.com/day3/ and listening to Rick Warren’s sermon:
BELOW ARE MY NOTES FROM THAT SERMON
Day 3 – THE PATH TO PERSONAL PEACE – Rick Warren
3 SOURCES OF TENSION [causing us to lose our peace of mind]
- When circumstances are: uncontrollable – out of our control
- When people are: unchangeable
- When problems are: unexplainable
Jehovah Shalom = “I am the God of Peace”
“I am leaving you with a gift – peace of mind and heart! And the peace I give isn’t fragile like the peace the world gives. So don’t be troubled or afraid.” John 14:27 (LB)
THE PATH TO PERSONAL PEACE
– Peace of mind has nothing to do with problem free living
– Peace of mind has nothing to do with conflict free living
1. ACCEPT WHAT CANNOT BE CHANGED.
“I have learned to be satisfied with the things I have and with everything that happens. I know how to live when I am poor, and I know how to live when I have plenty. I have learned the secret of being happy at anytime in everything that happens … I can do all things through Christ, because He gives me strength.” Phil 4: 11-13 (NCV)
– acceptance is a learned experience, learn acceptance by going through tough times
– it is a choice
God doesn’t own us an explanation for anything in our life.
Even if He did explain it, chances are we would not understand it.
Explanations never bring peace anyway.
What comforts us is God’s presence, not understand His purposes.
– Remember taking “test” in school – the teacher was always silent
THE SERENITY PRAYER
“God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”
REST OF THE PRAYER:
Living one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time, excepting hardship as the pathway to peace. Taking as Jesus did this simple world as it is not as I would have it. Trusting that you God will make all things right if I surrender to your will so that I may be reasonable happy in this life, and supremely happy with you forever in the next. Amen”
– so do what you can and accept what can not be changed.
2. TRUST IN GOD’S LOVING CARE
“You, Lord, give true peace to those who depend on You because they trust You.” Isa. 26:3 (NCV)
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and don’t lean on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.” Pr. 3:5-6 (NIV)
– you will never live a problem free life. – There is a word for a series of problems: LIFE
Why do we have problems?
1] Fallen world – Adam choked, he and Eve blew it.
2] Evil – personal enemy – the devil.
3] Mistakes – my mistakes – dumb decisions, bad choices, etc…
Sometimes the pain in your life is no one’s fault – happens just so we will trust in God.
“Don’t worry about anything; instead pray about everything; tell God your needs and don’t forget to thank Him for His answers. If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand.” Phil. 4:6-7 (LB)
When problems come are way we tend to make one of two mistakes
– some of us just try harder
– some of us just quit
3. SURRENDER TO GOD’S CONTROL
– everyday when you wake up you have a decision to make, who is in control? Me or God?
– you are at war with God when you try to play God
“If a person’s thinking is controlled by his sinful self, then there is death. But if his thinking is controlled by the Spirit, then there is life and peace.” Rom. 8:6 (ICB)
– The evidence of a surrender life is always obedience. “JUST DO IT!”
“Those who love your teaching will find true peace, and nothing will defeat them.” Ps. 119:165 (NCV)
– You have to make peace with God, before you can have peace of God.
“Since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us.” Rom. 5:1 (NLT)
– Aren’t you tired of being a war with God?
– What is the result of being in control of my own life?
- worry, guilt, bitterness, resentment, anxiety, fear, fatigue, depression, despair
– What is the result of surrendering our life to Jesus, and doing whatever He wants?
- Peace, power, strength, purpose, meaning, eternal life, significance, joy
Why don’t we surrender to God is every area of our life?
– RESENTMENT – What are you angry at God about?
When you stay angry at God you are cutting off the Hope, healing and health that you need for your own life.
You need to let it go.
There is not a single bad thing that has happened in your life that God could not have prevented.
Then why didn’t He? – I don’t know. We live in a fallen world where people are allowed to make bad choices and as a result people get hurt.
I do know that God has a greater purpose for your live than the problems that you are going through.
I do know that God is more interested in your character than in your comfort.
And I do know that if everything were great in your life, you’d be a spoiled brat, if you got everything that you wanted.
God has a plan for your life, and that plan includes pain, because God wants you to grow.