DAY # 5 Seeing Life From God’s View
Favorite quotes from today’s reading:
- When you understand that life is a test, you realize that nothing is insignificant in your life. Even the smallest incident has significances for your character development.
- Everything we enjoy is to be treated as a trust that God has placed in our hands.
- At the end of your life on earth you will be evaluated and rewarded according to how well you handled what God entrusted to you. That means everything you do, even simple daily chores have eternal implications. If you treat everything as a trust, God promises three rewards in eternity.
Consider going to: http://purposedriven.com/day5 and listening to Rick Warren’s sermon:
BELOW ARE MY NOTES FROM THAT SERMON
Day # 5 – WHY DOES IT MATTER WHAT I BELIEVE? – Rick Warren
- Every idea has a consequence
- Today we live in the age of terrorism because of the worldview of one man
- Everyday you are affected by the worldview of others
- Everyday you are affected by your own worldview
2] WHAT IS A WORLDVIEW?
MY WORDVIEW: The beliefs I build my life ON
how I view myself, God, Satan, everything I think about life…
Your worldview is accessed every time you make a choice.
2 Cor 5:17 [NLT] This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!
- Need a new view of You
- Need a new view of God
- Need a new view of Life
7 POPULAR WORLDVIEWS
1] MORE: MATERIALISM – “The one with most toys wins”
Jesus: “A man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” Luke 12:15 (NIV)
2] ME: INDIVIDUALISIM – “I’Ve GoT to THiNK OF ME FIRST”
Jesus: “If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find true life.” Matt. 16:25 (NLT)
3] FEELS GOOD: HEDONISM – “Do whatever feels good” “Are you addicted to thrills? What an empty life! The pursuit of pleasure is never satisfied.” Proverbs 21:17 (Message)
4] SO FAR SO GOOD: PRAGMATISM – “Whatever works for you”
“There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.” Proverbs 14:12 (NIV)
5] ATHEIST: NATURALISM – “God doesn’t exist or matter”
- If God doesn’t exist it doesn’t matter
“From the beginning of creation, God has shown what He is like by all He has made. That’s why those people don’t have any excuse. They know about God, but they don’t honor Him or even thank Him… They claim to be wise, but they are fools.” Rom. 1:20-22 (CEV)
6] HUMANISM: – “You are your own god”
“They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshipped created things rather than the Creator.” Rom. 1:25 (NIV)
7] THEISM: – “God made ME for his purposes”
“For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible… everything got started in Him and finds its purpose in Him.” Col. 1:16 (Message)
- Only 4% of people have a Biblical Worldview
- 62% of American consider themselves spiritual
B. WHY DOES IT MATTER WHAT I BELIEVE?
- It shapes your life
“Be careful how you think; your life is shaped by your thoughts.” Proverbs 4:23 (TEV)
“If people can’t see what God is doing, they stumble all over themselves; but when they attend to what He reveals, they are most blessed.” Proverbs 29:18 (Message)
- Belief equals Blessing
“Always be ready to give a logical defense to anyone who asks you to account for the hope that is in you, but do it courteously and respectfully.” 1 Peter 3:15 (Amp)
3. HOW CAN I STRENGTHEN MY WORLDVIEW?
- THE TRUTH. WHAT IS TRUE?
- You can build your life on truth, or you can build your life on trends
“Learn the truth and never reject it. Get wisdom, self-control, and understanding.” Proverbs 23:23 (NCV)
- DISCERN WHAT IS FALSE.
“Don’t believe everything you hear. Carefully weigh and examine what people tell you. Not everyone who talks about God comes from God. There are a lot of lying teachers loose in the world.” 1 John 4:1
- TURN FROM THE WORLD TO THE WORD.
“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – His good, pleasing and perfect will.” Rom. 12:2 (NIV)
“A wise person is hungry for truth, while the fool feeds on trash.” Proverbs 15:14 (NLT)
- CONCERN YOURSELF WITH GOD’S AGENDA.
“God will give you all you need from day to day if you make the Kingdom of God your primary concern.” Luke 12:31 (NLT)
“Stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults.” 1 Cor. 14:20 (NIV)
- People need God
- People need people that know what they believe.