Day # 6 – Life Is a Temporary Assignment
My favorite quotes from today’s reading:
- Life on Earth Is a Temporary Assignment
- Ask God to help you see life n earth as he sees it
- Your identity is in eternity, and your homeland is heaven. When you grasp this truth, you will stop worrying about “having it all” on earth.
- It’s easy to forget that the pursuit of happiness is not what life is about.
- We are not completely happy here because we’re not supposed to be!
- Realizing that life on earth is just a temporary assignment should radically alter your values.
- You will not be in heaven two seconds before you cry out, “Why did I place so much importance on things that were so temporary? What was I thinking? Why did I waste so much time, energy, and concern on what wasn’t going to last?
- At death you won’t leave home – you’ll go home
- The world is not my home
Consider going to: http://purposedriven.com/day6 and listening to Rick Warren’s sermon:
BELOW ARE MY NOTES FROM THAT SERMON
UNDERSTANDING THE SEASONS IN LIFE – Ecclesiastes 3:2-8 Rick Warren
“As long as the earth remains, there will be springtime and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, day and night.” Gen. 2:22 (LB)
- God has also established “seasons of life”
“There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.” Eccl. 3:1
“… everything on earth has its special season.” (NCV)
5 FACTS ABOUT THE SEASONS OF LIFE
1. They are beyond my control
“God controls the times and the seasons. He makes and unmakes kings.” Dan. 2:21 (GN)
2. They are often confusing – Christian life is lived by faith not by explanation
“… God does everything just right and on time, but people can never completely understand what he is doing.” Eccl. 3:11 (NCV)
3. God has a purpose for each season.
“We know that all that happens to us is working for our good IF we love God and are fitting into his plans.” Rom. 8:28 (LB)
4. The seasons include both good and bad times.
Eccl. 3:2-8 “There is a time to…
be born/die plant/uproot heal/kill build/tear down
laugh/cry dance/grieve gather/scatter hug/not hug
find/lose keep/throw away repair/tear speak up/be quiet
5. What I sow in one season, I’ll reap in another.
“Let us not be weary in well doing; for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” Gal. 6:9 (KJV)
HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF EACH SEASON
4 Questions to Ask
1. WHAT CAN I LEARN IN THIS SEASON OF LIFE?
“Remember what you have learned about the Lord through your experiences with him.” Deut. 11:2 (GN) – journal!
“(This happened) … so we might learn to trust, not in ourselves, but God…” 2 Cor. 1:9 (Ph)
- you won’t know that God is all you need, until God is all you’ve got!
- LIFE IS A TEST – only thing you take into eternity is your character
- School of experience: if you fail a test in life you get to retake it. There are always new experiences in life.
2. WHAT CAN I ENJOYIN THIS SEASON OF LIFE?
“People ought to enjoy every day of their lives.” Eccl. 11:8 (NCV)
“Give thanks in all circumstances; this is God’s will for you.” 1 Thess. 5:18 (NIV)
“I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.” Phil. 4:11 (NIV
3. WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANTIN THIS SEASON OF LIFE?
“Live life, then, with a due sense of responsibility, not as those who do not know the meaning and purpose of life but as those who do. Make the best use of your time, despite all the difficulties these days.” Eph. 5:15-16 (Ph)
4. HOW CAN I HELP OTHERS IN THIS SEASON OF LIFE?
“Whenever you are able, do good to people who need help.” Proverbs 3:27 (NCV)
“If you wait for perfect conditions, you will never get anything done.” Eccl. 11:4 (LB
“For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Eph. 2:10 [NLT]
- Do you giving while your living, then you’ll know where it’s going.
- Secret of happiness is service