Day # 8: PLANNED FOR GOD’S PLEASURE
My favorite quotes from today’s reading:
- You were planned for God’s Pleasure.
- One of the greatest gifts God has given you is the ability to enjoy pleasure.
- He wants you to enjoy life, not just endure it.
- Anything you do that brings pleasure to God is an act of worship.
- Worship is a lifestyle
- God loves all kinds of music because he invented it all
- If you have ever said, “I didn’t get anything out of worship today,” you worshiped for the wrong reason. Worship isn’t for you. It’s for God.
- Real worship is all about – falling in love with Jesus.
Consider going to: http://purposedriven.com/day8 and listening to Rick Warren’s sermon:
Here are my notes from that sermon:
“You (God) created everything, and it is for Your pleasure that they exist and were created.” Rev. 4:11b (NLT)
“Love the Lord your God… This is the first and greatest commandment.” Matt. 22:37-38 (NIV)
- Worship: is to know and love God back.
- Worship: is to give back to God [offer]
MY 1st purpose is to: WORSHIP GOD.
“Because of God’s great mercy to us… Offer yourselves as a living sacrifice to God, dedicated to His service and pleasing to Him. This is the true worship that you should offer.” Rom. 12:1 (TEV)
1. WORSHIP is my response to God’s love.
2. WORSHIP is giving back to God.
- Offer? What do you give to a God that has everything? You give him your love.
“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.” Mark 12: 30 (NCV)
GOD WANTS ME TO LOVE HIM…
Thoughtfully “with my mind”
Passionately “with my heart and soul”
Practically “with my strength.
Three things God doesn’t have unless you give them to him.
1] your attention – loving God with your mind
2] your affection – loving God with your heart and soul
3] your ability – loving God with your strength.
1. WORSHIP IS FOCUSING ON GOD.
- God wants us to focus on Him, because He is focusing on us.
“You have looked deep into my heart, Lord, and You know all about me. You know when I am resting or when I am working…You notice everything I do and everywhere I go.” Ps. 139:1-3 (CEV)
“Focusing on yourself is the opposite of focusing on God. Anyone completely absorbed in self ignores God, and ends up thinking more about self than God.” Rom. 8:7 (Message)
“Don’t become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God.” Rom. 12:2a (Message)
“Find a quiet, secluded place so you won’t be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense His grace.” Matt 6:6 (Message)
“Worship Him continually.” Ps. 105:4 (TEV)
“You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in You, whose thoughts are fixed on You!” Isa. 26:3 (NLT)
2. WORSHIP IS EXPRESSING MY AFFECTION TO GOD.
“We love Him, because He first loved us.” 1 John 4:19 (KJV)
“I don’t want your sacrifices – I want your love! I don’t want your offerings – I want you to know Me!” Hosea 6:6 (LB)
- Most important thing you can know in life is that God loves you.
- Most important thing you can do in life is to love Him back.
- 1st thing in the morning pray:
God, if I don’t get anything else done today, at the end of this day I want to know you a little bit better and I want to love you a little bit more.
- Focus your attention and express your affection
“He is a God who is passionate about His relationship with you.” Ex. 34:14b (NLT)
- God doesn’t want your duty, He wants your passion.
Start by just giving God thanks for the things around you.
“Give yourselves completely to God since you have been given new life.” Rom. 6:13 (NLT)
- You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving.
- Why don’t we give ourselves completely to God? FEAR!
- Our problem is not that we don’t love God enough, our problem is that we don’t understand how much He loves us.
3. WORSHIP IS USING MY ABILITIES FOR GOD.
“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though you were working for the Lord and not for people.” Col. 3:23 (TEV)
- In life it is not what you do that matters, it’s who you do it for.
“Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering.” Rom. 12:1a (Message)
- Everybody worships something, if you don’t worship God you are going to worship something, even it’s it yourself.
- What are you worshipping?
It’s whatever you are giving your primary attention too, your primary affection too, and whatever you give your primary abilities too.
THE GREATEST TEMPTATION OF YOUR LIFE AND THE WORST SIN YOU COULD POSSIBLY COMMIT; IS THE TEMPTATION TO WORSHIP SOMETHING OTHER THAN GOD.
- Whenever you love something more than God you are going to have chaos, conflict, stress and problems in your life.
“So we make it our goal to please Him…” 2 Cor. 5:9 (NIV)
- What do you think about most?
- What ever it is, it’s what you love the most.
- What ever it is, it’s what you worship.